Stop picking on yourself for National Eating Disorder Awareness Week

<p>We devote a great deal of time and energy toward fighting our “imperfections” and worrying about how others perceive us.</p>

We devote a great deal of time and energy toward fighting our “imperfections” and worrying about how others perceive us.

It’s National Eating Disorder Awareness Week, and the trending topic of body image is here to remind us how unhappy women are with their bodies. It seems like today’s women are in constant war with their thighs, tummies, butts or boobs. We devote a great deal of time and energy toward fighting our “imperfections” and worrying about how others perceive us. So in honor of this week’s campaign for positive self-perception, I urge you to stop singing the body blues and start generating some confidence with these tips.

Be realistic

If you want to to start exercising and get into shape, you’ll have to realize that it’s not going to happen instantaneously. Losing weight is a slow process that gradually happens over time. Stepping on the scale everyday to see how many pounds you shed during your 30 minutes of cardio isn’t motivating. It’s depressing.

Focus on what you love about yourself

I think we can all find at least one thing that we genuinely like about ourselves. For me, it’s my freckles. Every time I start to feel sad about how my bangs will never look as good as Zooey Deschanel’s, I just remind myself that she will never have cute freckles like I do. It may seem petty, but it works. Others will always have things that we want, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have things they want.

Pamper yourself

Your body deserves a break, and relaxing will put you in a better mindset. Plus, who doesn’t want an excuse to go get a manicure?

Throw on something you absolutely love

Your perception of yourself has the biggest impact on how others will perceive you. Whether it’s red go-go boots, a polka dot dress, purple eyeshadow or a cowboy hat — wear it and own it. If you feel beautiful, it’s only a matter of time until everyone else catches on.

Remind yourself how awesome you are

I know it sounds cheesy, but taking a small amount of time every day to congratulate yourself on how great you are will do wonders. Maybe you just make a mental note of it as you get ready to run to class, or maybe you play some applause and walk around the room blushing and thanking your wonderful fans. Either way, you will start to remove some of the insecurities you have burned into your self-perception so you can clear the way for some positive body image.

Posts in The F Bomb appear on Wednesdays. Follow @chloeoliveras on Twitter.