The co-owner of Hong Kong Deli & Market is accused of elbowing his colleague and trying to slice an employee with a meat cleaver.

Gainesville Police arrested Wing O. Yuen, 54, Monday on battery charges. Yuen declined to comment Tuesday evening.

The fight began after Yuen and the restaurant’s other co-owner, Zhou Ford, argued in the kitchen of Hong Kong Deli & Market, located at 1236 NW 21st Ave. While the two yelled at each other, Yuen elbowed Ford in the stomach and pushed her away, according to an arrest report.

Joshua Ford, Zhou’s husband and an employee at the store, stepped between Yuen and Zhou. Joshua tried to calm Yuen down, but Yuen spit on Joshua and punched him in the face, according to police.

Then, Yuen grabbed a 12-inch-long meat cleaver. He pointed the knife at his employee, but Joshua knocked it out of Yuen’s hand.

Yuen next scooped up some metal tongs with sharp edges. He swung them at Joshua several times, according to police. Yuen hit Joshua once, causing a small cut on his forehead.

While working at Hong Kong Deli & Market on Tuesday, Joshua declined to comment. There were also two women at the store, but Joshua said they didn’t speak English well.

Contact Tyler Jett at tjett@alligator.org