Students have three weeks left to file their taxes.

This year, taxes are due April 17, two days later than normal. April 15 is a Sunday, and April 16 falls on Emancipation Day in Washington, D.C.

Students looking for help filing their taxes can contact the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program, or VITA, which offers free help.

VITA helps individuals and families who make less than $50,000, according to the Internal Revenue Service.

Students can make appointments by calling 211.

United Way North Florida VITA coordinator Dave Sheppard said anyone with a total income of less than $9,500 is not legally required to file taxes. However, a filed tax form is required for anyone in this category who wants a refund of withheld money.

VITA has 11 Gainesville locations, according to the United Way website. One is at Levin College of Law, and another is at Shands at UF. The list of locations and hours is available through a link on getyourEITC.com.

Jesse Boyles, UF associate professor at the Fisher School of Accounting, said Bright Futures goes toward tuition and is tax-free. If part of a scholarship or fellowship goes toward non-academic expenses, however, it counts as income, according to the IRS.

Contact Samantha Shavell at sshavell@alligator.org.