“The Hunger Games” breaks records; Jennifer Lawrence shines

<p>“The Hunger Games” is a great film even without the following it has from those who have read the series.</p>

“The Hunger Games” is a great film even without the following it has from those who have read the series.

One of the newer trends of the film industry is adapting best-selling novel series into record-breaking movies. The latest series that has been creating buzz all over social media websites and television is “The Hunger Games.” The tremendously popular trilogy written by Suzanne Collins has attracted a widespread following, mostly among young adults.

Even adults, like the older man I saw in Starbucks last week clutching a new copy of the first book in the series, have taken an interest. It’s no surprise the movie smashed through the box office on its opening weekend, setting a record for the debut of a non-sequel and falling in third place for overall opening weekends.

I will shamefully admit that I have yet to actually read the book. Instead, I decided to see the film with no preconceptions and see if I deemed it worthy of achieving such an impressive opening haul. I also wanted to spare myself disappointment at the potential discrepancies between film and novel that always embitter dedicated fans.

As a stand-alone film, I have to admit that I was really impressed. The problem with many book-based films is that many important details get lost in translation. Sometimes people who have read the book can understand the movie, and the viewers who were just tagging along with their friends or accompanying their children come out of the theater scratching their heads. Luckily, “The Hunger Games” was clear and easy to follow with the right amount of explanation and subtly.

I owe the quality of the film mostly to the phenomenal cast. Jennifer Lawrence has been a rising star in Hollywood ever since her Academy Award nomination for “Winter’s Bone.” She has proven herself to be a dynamic actress and more than suited to be a leading lady. Lawrence is a paradigm of strength and resilience in her portrayal of the main character, Katniss Everdeen. My hat is also off to Josh Hutcherson, as the charming Peeta, who has great chemistry with Lawrence. Finally, Woody Harrelson managed to provide comic relief in his depiction of the brusque Haymitch Abernathy, Katniss’ trainer for the Hunger Games. I might have a soft sport for Harrelson, especially when he plays oddball characters. However, there is no denying that he nailed this role.

“The Hunger Games” is a great film even without the following it has from those who have read the series. I wouldn’t go as far as to say it is the next “Harry Potter,” but it definitely gives “Twilight” a good kick in the pants.

The sequel is already in development, but it won’t come out until November 2013, so I have time to actually read the series.

Posts in Swamp Cinema appear on Tuesdays. Follow @SwampCinema on Twitter.