UF’s College of Education jumped 18 spots in graduate school rankings this year.

U.S. News & World Report released its rankings Tuesday. Of the 238 education programs that responded to a survey, UF ranked No. 34. Last year it was ranked 52nd.

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill tied with UF. Vanderbilt University was ranked No. 1.

Glenn Good, dean of the college, said one reason for the jump is the increase in funded research at the school. Also, the school became more selective in accepting doctoral students.

The ranking system is a tool to help prospective graduate students find the best school for them, according to U.S. News & World Report.

Other UF graduate programs also made the rankings.

The Hough Graduate School of Business came in at No. 44. It tied with Michigan State University, Pennsylvania State University, the University of Maryland and Wake Forest University.

The Levin College of Law was ranked 48th, and three of its nine specialties were in the top 20.

Debra Amirin, college spokeswoman, said the law school was pleased with its reputation but not with its overall ranking.

She said last year the report started counting graduates enrolled in post doctorate programs as unemployed.

“We would be at least five to seven points higher if they had not counted them,” Amirin said.

Contact Samantha Shavell at sshavell@alligator.org.