Visit Gifthorse on North Main Street for a unique experience

<p>Find TOMS sneakers and other morally sound products at Gifthorse. Support local designers and bigger companies that showcase high ethical standards.</p>

Find TOMS sneakers and other morally sound products at Gifthorse. Support local designers and bigger companies that showcase high ethical standards.

On a corner of North Main Street sits a shop filled with guilt-free finds. From TOMS sneakers to custom made T-shirts, Gifthorse offers a mix of respected brands and locally designed items that are easy on the wallet and the conscience.

Gifthorse sets itself apart from other stores by selling strictly “sweatshop free” apparel. Everything for sale is made morally and ethically.

“I don’t want to be involved with something I’m not proud of,” said Roberto Evans, 29-year-old Gifthorse owner and Gainesville native.

“Good human conditions are important,” said Evans. “Values are important.”

For Evans, that philosophy started after a visit to Honduras, where half his family lives. There, in a rural part of the countryside, he witnessed coffee farms and sweatshops firsthand.

“It was a weird, surreal moment for me but a defining one,” Evans said. “You always hear about it, but you never see it. It hit close to home.”

When Evans returned to Gainesville, he started his first business, Berto’s. An art gallery, Berto’s allowed Evans and local artists to showcase their pieces.

It was there that Evans realized he enjoyed expressing his art through graphic T-shirts, and he began selling them for the first time.

“I like the creativity in clothes,” he said.

In expressing that creativity, Evans opened his second business: The Exchange. Half art gallery, half clothing store, The Exchange gave Evans the opportunity to expand. He sold his uniquely designed graphic T-shirts and showcased additional artwork.

The Exchange did well, but Evans saw an opportunity in the location of his next business: Gifthorse. When he opened up shop on Main Street, clothing became his focus, and his art studio moved upstairs.

“My life is very much of a progression of things,” he said. “It kind of evolves.”

Evans brought in more designers, both local and up-and-coming, but not before he confirmed that they were priced modestly and produced ethically.

“Paying attention to the morals of the company is first and foremost,” Evans said.

“Some brands are vegan, some support specific causes. I like the idea of something being reused and repurposed.”

The same attention to morals applies to the larger, respected brands that he sells as well. Evans sells items from companies known for their ethical production standards, including Alternative Apparel, Lifetime Collective, Ethletic and, most notably, TOMS.

“Gifthorse is so unique,” said Matt McEwen, a 22-year-old Santa Fe college student and long-time customer. “It’s one of those cool little hidden treasures of Gainesville.”

Because Gifthorse explicitly sells clothing, Evans is considering projecting video art and short films by local directors while customers shop in an effort to keep up the creativity.

“There’s not really a place for (videos) to be appreciated right now,” Evans said. “I think it’d be cool.”

Gifthorse carries both men and women’s apparel. Prices range from $5 to $50, depending on the product and brand, with vintage items averaging less than $15.

“It took three and a half years to get the ball rolling,” Evans said, “But it was worth it.”

If you have questions or would like to submit a video to be projected inside Gifthorse, visit gifthorsedowntown.com or email gifthorsedowntown@gmail.com