Where to eat if you're visiting Gainesville

When you think of vacation destinations, Gainesville is probably not one of the top cities on the list. But Gainesville has many highly popular hot spots that are go-tos when in town. Here are some of our favorites:

The Jones Eastside: 401 NE 23rd Ave.

Although this restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, we recommend stopping in for brunch on the weekends. The Jones is known for its fresh, organic and locally grown and raised food options. If you want a meal without feeling too guilty about where it came from, this is the place for you.

The Top: 30 N Main St.

If you’re looking for a place with tasty burgers, awesome sweet potato fries and great brews, this is the joint for you. If you’re in the mood for dessert, you have to sample the vegan chocolate cake.

Satchel's Pizza: 1800 SE 23rd Ave.

This eclectic pizza place is known for its delicious pies and unique outdoor dining. With almost any topping combination allowed, you’ll be sure to fall in love with your own creations. If you’re feeling adventurous, ask to be seated in the bus for quite a different experience!

The Midnight Cafe & Bar: 233 S Main St.

This small but well-stocked bar has an extensive drink menu with beers, ales, ciders and more. If you’re in the mood for something to munch on while enjoying your brew, The Midnight has dishes such as a grilled Nutella and peanut butter sandwich, a sloppy joe or vegetarian chili.

Posts in The Traveling Gator appear on Mondays.