Fewer runners take it off for Great Underwear Dash

<p>Scantily clad students sprint through Turlington Plaza on Friday evening for 14th annual Great Underwear Dash.</p>

Scantily clad students sprint through Turlington Plaza on Friday evening for 14th annual Great Underwear Dash.

By 11:30 p.m. on Friday, people wearing only their undies and running shoes littered University Avenue, drifting between bars but not gaining entry.

The 14th Great Underwear Dash tore across campus Friday night, leaving a pile of clothes that filled 30 trash bags on Turlington Plaza.

The turnout was skimpy this year, said 21-year-old physics junior Josh Kelley, who organized the run. Usually, dashers donate 50 or 60 bags worth of clothing, all of which is driven to St. Francis House immediately after the run.

About 970 people RSVP’d to the event on Facebook, but Kelley estimated the actual turnout at only a couple hundred. In the past, up to 2,500 people clicked “attending.”

“Maybe this particular semester was busy for everyone,” Kelley said. “It’s pretty disappointing.”

Kelley also started the run at 11 p.m. on Friday, instead of midnight, as in past years.

The most creative costumes included two hula dancers, two giant mouse-like headdresses and three men wearing red, white and blue bikini-style briefs, Kelley said.

Jacob Barrow, an 18-year-old University of Central Florida freshman, sported red briefs in the trio. He was invited to the run by his friends, UF freshmen Eric Zecman, 19, and Brian DePaola, 18.

The theme of their costumes?

“America!” they said in unison.

Contact Erin Jester at ejester@alligator.org.