Notebook: Mixed results in red-zone; Morrison, Pittman impress; UF adds three commits

The Gators’ red-zone woes from last fall appeared to follow them into the spring.

After scoring touchdowns on just 18 of 37 red-zone trips last season (48.65 percent), Florida found the end zone five times in eight red-zone opportunities during Saturday’s Orange & Blue Debut.

While 62.5 percent is a stark improvement from last season’s number, four of those scores came in the fourth quarter, when the teams were scoring at will against walk-ons and depth chart cellar-dwellers on defense.

The Gators struggled to find the end zone from within the 20-yard line for the first three quarters, which saw a combined four drives enter the red zone. In the first quarter, the Orange offense stalled at the 17-yard line and Lou Groza finalist Caleb Sturgis missed a chip-shot field goal.

On the next possession, the Blue squad turned the ball over on downs inside the red zone after getting down to the 13-yard line before Omarius Hines was stopped short on a fourth-and-2 rush attempt.

Florida’s only red-zone touchdown during the first three quarters came on a third-and-goal post pass from Jacoby Brissett to Quinton Dunbar from the 4-yard line.

When the fourth quarter came, though, both offenses were perfect inside the 20-yard line — including when sophomore fullback Hunter Joyer found paydirt from three yards out.

“I feel we’re gonna be a lot stronger in the red zone this year,” Joyer said. “We’re gonna get it down.”

Freshmen continue to impress: A few of Florida’s early enrollees from the team’s No. 3 overall recruiting class made big impacts in their first spring game.

Linebacker Antonio Morrison, who has garnered praise from the Gators’ coaching staff during spring practice, registered nine total tackles Saturday, including one for a loss.

“Antonio Morrison showed up,” coach Will Muschamp said. “Now that’s a tough ‘backer out of Chicago. He likes playing the game.”

On the offensive side of the ball, wide receiver Latroy Pittman capped off his reportedly stellar spring with two receptions for 51 yards, including a 43-yard catch down the left sideline on a deep ball from Brissett in the second quarter that helped set up the game’s first score.

Muschamp has spoken highly of Pittman through spring practice, and Saturday was no different. Muschamp said the 6-foot, 201-pound receiver has solid instincts in finding the ball and good play-making ability, something sophomore wide receiver Quinton Dunbar agrees with.

“The guy just makes plays,” Dunbar said. “He just makes plays. That’s all I can say. He’s very good.”

Injury report: Junior safety Matt Elam sat out Saturday’s scrimmage with a groin injury. Muschamp said Elam underwent surgery on his groin in late January and made it through the first “10 or 11 practices” before tweaking his groin last week.

Junior linebacker Jon Bostic also missed the spring game after experiencing back spasms during practice Friday. Buck linebacker Ronald Powell started the game, but left early after spraining his knee. Muschamp also said cornerback Cody Riggs got “banged up,” but expected him to be fine.

Florida announced before the game that freshman cornerback Willie Bailey would be out for the scrimmage, but Bailey participated and recorded four total tackles.

Gators pick up commitments: Florida picked up a trio of oral commitments from class of 2013 recruits Saturday, including a four-star wide receiver.

Ahmad Fulwood, the No. 8 wide receiver in the nation according to Rivals.com, gave his oral commitment to the Gators’ coaching staff while attending Saturday’s scrimmage. Along with Fulwood, a 6-foot-4, 197-pound receiver, Florida picked up pledges from three-star defensive back Tre Bell and three-star offensive lineman Joshua Outlaw.

The three commitments bring Florida’s 2013 recruiting class to 14 members.

Contact Tom Green at tgreen@alligator.org