University of Florida student remains in critical condition after being hit by semi

A UF student who was hit by a semitrailer last week remained in critical condition at Shands at UF on Sunday.

Omair Usmani, 19, of Orlando, ran in front of traffic at the 3300 block of Williston Road around 4 p.m. Wednesday. The driver of the semitrailer, which was heading west, could not swerve away from Usmani in time, according to police.

Sey Hee Park, a microbiology and cell science senior, said he was stuck in traffic Wednesday afternoon because Williston Road was shut down. All he saw was one semitrailer and metal shards on the pavement.

Park, who is friends with Usmani, assumed the semitrailer hit another vehicle. Until Sunday, he did not know Usmani was involved.

Usmani’s friends have flooded his Facebook the last four days, many of them writing that they just heard the news. Some wrote encouragements, and others said they were praying for Usmani, who graduated from Seminole High School in 2010.

“Salaam man,” one friend wrote. “I’m praying for you … hang in there … I love you bro.”

Contact Tyler Jett at tjett@alligator.org.