Monday, April 29, 2024

Florida went into the second day of the NCAA Championships tied at second overall.

By the end of the second round Wednesday, the Gators had descended in the ranks at the Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif.

Florida shot a 296 (+12) and fell into a tie for eighth place with Kent State, USC, California and Illinois.

Tyler McCumber carried the Gators in the first round and did the same on Wednesday.

McCumber followed up his 68 (-3) in the opening round with a 71 (E) in the second round, remaining tied for second with Anton Arboldea of UCLA at 139 (-3).

McCumber would be tied for first had he not double bogeyed the second hole, a par four. The setback dropped him to even par, where he remained for the rest of the round.

None of the other Gators were able to match McCumber’s success .

Junior T.J. Vogel carded Florida’s second-best score with a 74 (+3) in the second round. Vogel birdied two holes, but bogeyed three others and double-bogeyed another. He is tied for 37th after two rounds with a score of 146 (+4).

Freshman Eric Banks also posted a 74 (+3) Wednesday. He birdied three holes and bogeyed six holes. He shotover par on six holes, putting him three over par for the day. Banks has a 150 (+8) after two rounds

Senior Michael Furci shot a 77 (+6) in the second round to bring his tourney total to 149 (+7). He shot over par on every hole. Furci bogeyed four holes and double bogeyed the ninth hole.

Freshman J.D. Tomlinson ended the day with a score of 82 (+11) for a two-day toal of 158 (+16). Tomlinson shot over par on nine holes, and he double bogeyed two.

The Gators will pick up play in the third round of the NCAA Championships today at 3 p.m.

McCumber trails overall leader Thomas Pieters of Illinois by two shots heading into the final day of competition.