Within 24 hours of Florida men’s tennis coach Andy Jackson announcing his resignation, Jan Dowling, the women’s golf coach, followed suit.

“It truly has been an honor to coach at the University of Florida for the past three seasons, and I want to thank Mr. Foley and the entire administration for this opportunity,” Dowling said. “I am very proud of what these young women have accomplished, and feel very fortunate to be involved with such a great athletic association.”

In the three years that Dowling coached the Gators, she led them to two NCAA Championships in 2011 and 2012. During her first year as coach, the team missed out on going by only three strokes.

Dowling also helped Florida improve every year at both the Southeastern Conference Championship and the NCAA Regional. In addition, her teams improved with the number of top-five finishes they posted over the three years.

“My decision was extremely difficult,” Dowling said. “However, I have to make the right choices for my personal life too. I will cherish my time at Florida, and wish nothing but the very best for the future of the program and the entire athletic association.”

After playing professionally for three years, Dowling made the switch to collegiate coaching. She started as an assistant coach at Kent State University, where she competed as an athlete four years earlier.

Dowling stayed at Kent State for two seasons then became the assistant coach at Duke University for a season before coming to Florida.

Florida will look for its fifth head coach in the program’s 40-year history immediately.

“I was surprised with Jan’s decision, but I respect her decision to do what is best for her,” athletics director Jeremy Foley said. “We wish her the best in whatever her future holds.”

Contact Katie Agostin at kagostin@alligator.org.