Registration for TRiP’s Iceland summer excursion starts today

The Gator Nation will be expanding its presence to the land of fire and ice this summer.

UF’s Travel and Recreation Program, known as TRiP, is leading a summer excursion to Iceland. Registration begins at noon today in The Outfitter at the Reitz Union.

TRiP, a group of students who lead outdoor trips, is opening registration to anyone interested, not just students, said Jackie Matthews, program coordinator for UF’s Department of Student Activities and Involvement.

The trip, which runs July 27 to August 6, includes a few days to explore the capital of Iceland as well as six days of backpacking.

“Once you leave the U.S. with everything you’ve got on your back, that’s what you’re going to be carrying around Iceland as well,” Matthews said.

The trip costs $600, excluding airfare.

Iceland was chosen because English is widely spoken there, and it is safe, said Mero Geesey, a Spring 2012 biology graduate and acting leader for the trip.

This is TRiP’s first international trip in more than five years and its first trip to Iceland, Matthews said.

Anyone interested in going who is not in Gainesville can call 352-294-7498.