Suspect in Waldo shooting turned himself in, officials expect arrest shortly

A suspect in the shooting of a Waldo man has turned himself in and was taken in for questioning.

A man fatally shot Ronald Andrews, 46, in Andrews’ home at 18104 NE 143rd Ave. in Waldo on Tuesday evening.

According to Sgt. Todd Kelly of the Alachua County Sheriff’s Office, ASO received a phone call at 5:03 p.m. from neighbors who heard three shots fired.

ASO responded with its SWAT team. Officers found Andrews inside his house and dragged him to safety in his neighbor’s yard.

Kelly said Andrews was pronounced dead at the scene.

Unsure if the shooter was still inside the house, officers called for K-9 units to respond.

At the same time, ASO dispatch received a call from the southwest corner of Alachua county from a person who was with a man who claimed to be the shooter.

The suspect then turned himself in along with a handgun he said he used to shoot Andrews.

ASO immediately took the man in for questioning.

Kelly said the suspected shooter is familiar to Andrews’ family, but so far officers haven’t discovered a motive.

“That hasn’t been clear yet,” Kelly said.

Kelly said the suspect has been talkative and cooperative with officers, and he expects an arrest to be made Tuesday night.