Column: Limited instant replay beneficial for baseball

<p>N.C. State shortstop Chris Diaz reacts after striking out looking to end the game against Florida on June 10. Diaz sought out home plate umpire Steve Corvi to argue the call.</p>

N.C. State shortstop Chris Diaz reacts after striking out looking to end the game against Florida on June 10. Diaz sought out home plate umpire Steve Corvi to argue the call.

Whether the Gators win or lose this year’s College World Series, Brian Johnson will always be remembered in Omaha. After an apparent Johnson home run was called a ground-rule double in Florida’s 8-4 win against Texas last season, instant replay has been implemented for the 2012 College World Series.

“All that mattered last year is we won the game,” Johnson said. “I think [the new rule is] pretty cool.”

The NCAA has wisely limited instant replay to reviews regarding home runs. The three scenarios are: deciding if an apparent home run is fair or foul, deciding whether a batted ball left the playing field for a home run or a ground-rule double and spectator-interference plays on home runs.

Dennis Poppe, the NCAA vice president of football and baseball, discussed the rule change Tuesday.

“We’ll see how it works,” he said. “I can tell you every umpire wants to make sure they got the call right. A home run, that’s a big play. They want to make sure they get it right.”

A change in the game of this magnitude has drawn both praise and ire. Although not directly, Florida coach Kevin O’Sullivan and N.C. State coach Elliott Avent clashed on the issue last weekend.

“I think it’s a good thing,” O’Sullivan said Sunday. “I think that anything that can help the umpires get the call right I think is a good thing for this sport. That’s not a knock on them not getting the call (on Johnson’s home run) right last year.

“That’s the other thing that makes this sport so good. There’s decisions sometimes in the game that aren’t right and you got to battle through those decisions.”

Avent brought up instant replay after the Gators’ 9-8 victory against the Wolfpack on Sunday. N.C. State shortstop Chris Diaz struck out looking on a controversial called third strike to end the game. A furious Diaz chased after home plate umpire Steve Corvi to argue the call.

“Any way, it’s baseball,” Avent said. “It’s what makes it the great, great game. That’s why there should never be replay. I think replay has destroyed football and everything.”

Like Avent, I consider myself a baseball purist. I like outdoor stadiums, and I believe the designated hitter is an atrocity. “Take Me Out to the Ball Game” should be the only song played during the seventh-inning stretch, and, for the love of God, why the hell is there a pool bar at Marlins Park?

However, I support the introduction of limited instant replay. I put emphasis on limited. I support the rules established by the College World Series, and I even think it would be okay to review whether a runner is safe or out.

Each team should receive one challenge per game. A successful challenge earns a second. After that, no more, so choose your battles wisely. There will be no counter challenges. No booth-ordered replays.

But here’s where I draw the line: balls and strikes. Everybody has his or her own strike zone. It varies on the size of the batter and the eye of the beholder. The strike zone should forever remain untouched by instant replay. We don’t need the technological equivalent of a fax machine like Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine suggests.

Critics complain about instant replay and suggest it will slow down an already untimed game, but if time is a concern, there are plenty of other sports with clocks.

Baseball is a human game and, like us, it’s error-prone. We have used technology to improve our lives. Why not our games?

Contact Joe Morgan at joemorgan@alligator.org.