Chipper’s final selection to All-Star Game resonates with sports editor

Billy Heywood is braver than most. Portrayed by Luke Edwards in the 1994 film Little Big League, Billy inherits the Minnesota Twins after the death of his grandfather, the team’s owner. One week later, Billy names himself manager.

One of the most captivating scenes in the movie comes when Billy has to cut his favorite player, Jerry Johnson, mid-season. Billy tries to cheer his hero up by saying he refused to trade his Johnson baseball card to a friend for Wade Boggs and Sammy Sosa cards. Naturally, this did not make the suddenly unemployed ballplayer feel any better.

In essence, saying goodbye is never easy, especially to a childhood idol. However, it is a stark reality that I, along with millions of boys that have grown up playing baseball in Georgia, will have to face when Chipper Jones calls it quits at the end of the 2012 campaign.

This season has not been easy — actually, far from it.

Instead of watching my favorite baseball player suit up every night on TBS like I did when I was younger, I watch the Braves play on my MacBook and curse MLB.TV every time it buffers.

I cherish my remaining time with Chipper, and I’m not happy when an unreliable Internet connection interferes with the last baseball season of my childhood. However, the inconsistent connectivity is not the only thing to blame.

The injury bug has taken a chunk out of Chipper’s season once again in 2012. Since 2004, Jones has missed 348 games due to resting and ailments ranging from his hamstrings to an ACL tear in 2010. Extensive time on the DL has likely robbed Chipper of additional All-Star selections and milestones such as 3,000 hits and 500 home runs.

Despite the injuries, Chipper’s numbers still stand strong among Hall-of-Fame switch hitters and third basemen. He is a first-ballot guy and there is no argument there.

So, due to my constantly buffering MLB.TV feed and Chipper’s physical predicaments, I have enjoyed my favorite ballplayer in small doses this summer.

A walk-off home run in a 15-13 Braves win against the Phillies on May 2. Chipper’s 5-for-5 line against the Cubs on Tuesday.

However, barring a major injury, base hits and home runs will come off Chipper’s bat several more times before the season is over. But when National League manager Tony La Russa added Chipper to the All-Star team Tuesday afternoon, I got a little choked up.

This is it for Larry Wayne Jones, Jr. Chipper will suit up for his final All-Star Game in the only MLB city he has never visited as a player — Kansas City, Mo. — July 10.

I’m sure I will get this emotional again when the Braves play the Mets in New York for the final time (Laaaaaarry!) and when I go to Chipper’s home finale at Turner Field on Sept. 30.

In the end, I will be happy.

Countless careers conclude in injury, the minor leagues or on waiver wires, and it’s simply unfortunate. Unlike Billy Heywood, I get to see my baseball hero leave the game with his head held high.

The Braves are in the playoff hunt, and Chipper is a major contributor to the effort. Atlanta is 27-20 when the 40-year-old third baseman laces up his cleats and plays. Without him, they are 15-19.

Chipper is getting the Hall-of-Fame victory lap — including several touching tributes in opposing team’s ballparks — he deserves in his final season. Sure, I could tell Mr. Jones that I wouldn’t trade his baseball card for one million Wade Boggs cards, but that just wouldn’t be fair.

Another World Series title excluded, there’s already enough icing on the cake.

Contact Joe Morgan at joemorgan@alligator.org.