HOOVER, Ala. — The Gators will have one fewer tight end going into fall camp.

Sophomore A.C. Leonard, who was arrested on a domestic battery charge in February, made the decision after talking with coach Will Muschamp on Tuesday.

"It was a mutual decision," Muschamp said.

Leonard has not decided where he will transfer. The tight end played in nine games last season and recorded eight catches for 99 yards.

"Sometimes it doesn't work out and he needed to move on," Muschamp said.

His domestic battery charge in February resulted from an altercation with his girlfriend at the time.

According to the arrest report, Leonard pushed her to the ground, pulled her hair and dragged her out of the apartment by her feet. He then locked her out of the room.

“I wish he wouldn’t have left,” senior linebacker Jon Bostic said. “I don’t have all the details to what went on with that, but I just wish him the best in wherever he decides to go. Somebody is getting a good player.”

Florida returns Jordan Reed as the starting tight end in 2012. Reed caught 28 passes for 307 yards and two touchdowns last season.

Omarius Hines will also see time at the tight end position this season; however most of his time will be spent in the backfield. As a junior, Hines caught seven passes for 106 yards.

Florida moved Tevin Westbrook to tight end after the spring, and Clay Burton will look to make an impact in his second season.

“We have the two freshman coming in we’re excited about,” Muschamp said. “We’ve got five scholarship guys at the position. That’s what we need.”

Contact Joe Morgan at joemorgan@alligator.org and Corey McCall at cmccall@alligator.org.