Avengers Assemble!: Who was the ‘Best Male Athlete’ in 2011-12?

We all need superheroes — yes, including you — and the sports world is no exception.

So, to wrap up The Alligator Awards, I will introduce the nominees for “Best Male Athlete” by comparing them to members of The Avengers. Sounds awesome, right?

With no further ado, here is my take on each of the nominees and how they would fit into the Marvel Universe. The method is easy, foolproof and open to plenty of debate. Enjoy!

Brad Beal is Thor – I do realize the newest Washington Wizard does not have flowing golden locks, but come on. When Beal throws down at the rim, I envision the God of Thunder coming down with his mighty hammer Mjolnir. As a true freshman, Beal was arguably the best player in the Southeastern Conference not playing for Kentucky. He averaged 14.8 points per game and a team-best 6.7 rebounds while leading Florida to a second consecutive appearance in the Elite Eight. Just like Chris Hemsworth in Hollywood, Beal is a rising star.

Tony McQuay is The Hulk – Much like Bruce Banner, you will not like McQuay when he is angry. Consider three straight NCAA Outdoor Championships losses by a combined five points. Fed up with the losing, McQuay put on his purple pants and earned 20 points for his winning efforts in the 4x400m relay as the Gators’ anchor and in the 400m. Also, McQuay helped Florida furiously extend its NCAA indoor title streak to three straight championships by contributing 10 key points with a victory in the 400m.

Preston Tucker is Nick Fury – A grizzled veteran and a natural leader, Tucker — like Samuel L. Jackson’s one-eyed secret agent — is constantly in control. Fury did the improbable by assembling The Avengers to fight off an alien invasion. Tucker hit .321 with 16 home runs and 50 RBI in his final season as a Gator and provided leadership for a squad that earned a third straight College World Series berth. When you think of “The Avengers,” Fury does not immediately come to mind, but he is the man behind the super-powered collective. Mike Zunino and Brian Johnson may be the first-round picks from UF, but Tucker is the guy behind the team.

Chris Rainey is Iron Man – The former Gators running back is constantly putting on a show, just like Tony Stark/Iron Man. Stark’s Iron Man suit can do many things, and well, so can Rainey. He racked up 1,451 all-purpose yards for Florida last season as the team leader in rushing, receiving and return yards. Also, Stark has a tendency to have fun while clearly in the public eye, enjoying his fame. Rainey is a fun-loving guy as well and usually has some sharp one-liners for the media. If that’s not enough, they both wear helmets. So, there.

Mike Zunino is Captain America – The unquestioned leader of the pack, Captain America is a consistently powerful force for The Avengers, much like Zunino for the Gators. Zunino was an All-American guy dominating America’s pastime. Winning multiple national awards for his stellar play, the No. 3 overall pick in the 2012 MLB Amateur Draft came through in the clutch consistently and led UF to a third straight trip to Omaha to play for a national title.

The Alligator Awards wrap up with this week with voting for “Best Male Athlete” and “Best Female Athlete.” Let your voice be heard on who deserves to win. Vote online at alligatorSports.org. To those who have been with us all the way, thanks for reading and voting.

Contact Joe Morgan at joemorgan@alligator.org.