UF freshman owns Super PAC

<p>Adam Samei, 18, started a Super PAC to learn more about political organizations and to one-up an acquaintance.</p>

Adam Samei, 18, started a Super PAC to learn more about political organizations and to one-up an acquaintance.

Some people brag about owning iPads or scooters, but UF freshman Adam Samei impresses peers with a different fact — he owns his own Super Political Action Committee.

The 18-year-old political science and international affairs student said he’s the second-youngest person to own a Super PAC, a type of political organization that can raise unlimited funds to promote its agenda.

“It’s pretty cool to have one,” he said. “I think it will help me get more involved in the political scene.”

Super PACs were born out of a controversial 2010 Supreme Court decision. They can collect unrestrained amounts of money, endorse a specific candidate and, in some instances, not disclose their donors. Super PACs can also accept contributions from corporations and unions.

Prior to the ruling, organizations were not allowed to officially endorse candidates and had to limit the contributions they received from each identified donor.

“The idea was that campaign finance was going to be regulated,” said David Hedge, a UF professor of American politics. “Super PACs skirt those limits.”

Samei said he was motivated to make his Super PAC, named United Americans for a Brighter Future, after his father showed him a newspaper article profiling the youngest Super PAC owner. It turned out that Samei knew the 18-year-old, Alexander Iannacio. Samei felt compelled to one-up him.

“If I got the acceptance letter on my birthday, I could have been the youngest,” Samei lamented.

To complete the Super PAC creation process, he had to give himself a crash course in political organizations.

Samei had no idea what to expect when he visited the Federal Election Commission’s website, but he said he was surprised by how easy the process was.

“There was a link to about four or five pages of paperwork,” Samei said. “And then I hit submit.”

He found a treasurer, his sister, and a temporary vice president, his dad.

Now, Samei’s priority is advertising and fundraising. He hopes to begin projects in September. One of his first tasks is creating a list for voters detailing different local, state and national candidates’ stances on important issues.

“People need to be aware of who they’re voting for,” he said.

One of his other main goals, though, is still rooted in his rivalry with Iannacio.

“Now, the goal is to raise more money than he does,” Samei said.

Contact Shelby Webb at swebb@alligator.org.