After the critical and financial success of “Bridesmaids,” women have finally been recognized as contenders for lead comedic roles. Audiences have expected that more female-dominated comedy films would follow, and one is on it’s way this weekend.

“Bachelorette,” premieres Sept. 7, starring “Bridesmaids” cast member Rebel Wilson alongside Kirsten Dunst, Isla Fischer and Lizzy Caplan.

Wilson had only a small role in “Bridesmaids” as Brynn, the oddball British sister with the infected tattoo and talent for insults. Although Wilson was only in a few scenes, she stole each one and served as one of the best parts of the film. She is sure to shine through in her leading role in “Bachelorette” as a recently engaged woman named Becky who calls on three of her high school “friends” to join her wedding party.

Dunst, Fischer and Caplan play the three best friends who agree to throw Becky a wild bachelorette party as a way to put the past behind them, despite secretly having ridiculed her in high school.

After their debauchery leads to an unfortunate accident with the wedding dress, the girls embark on an adventure to make things right before the wedding day.

“Bachelorette” has all the elements of a successful comedy. With a solid cast of funny women wreaking havoc and leaving disaster in their wake, audience members will be captivated by the humorous sequence of events. The success of this film will further prove that women should be considered leaders in comedy and held in high esteem next to male comedians.

Female comedies are not only geared toward women. They appeal to male audiences because they are downright funny. It is unexpected for men to say he is seeing a film entitled “Bridesmaids” or “Bachelorette,” but they will because women can be hilarious in the exact same way that men can be. The premise might be feminine, but the comedy is gender-neutral.

When deciding what to see at the movies Friday night, “Bachelorette” should be at the top of the list. It is without a doubt another outrageous comedy with an outstanding female cast.