Bar connected to Munchies 420 Cafe opens in Midtown

<p>Students stroll in front of Fat Daddy’s, a new bar in Midtown, on Tuesday night. The bar, which is run by the owner of Munchies 420 Cafe, will have its grand opening Friday.</p>

Students stroll in front of Fat Daddy’s, a new bar in Midtown, on Tuesday night. The bar, which is run by the owner of Munchies 420 Cafe, will have its grand opening Friday.

Drunk munchies may take on a new meaning Friday.

Fat Daddy’s, a new bar in Midtown, will open its doors beneath Munchies 420 Cafe for the first time this weekend.

J.D. Chester, owner of Munchies 420 Cafe and Fat Daddy’s, said he hopes to add some class to the strip of bars.

“Our motto is clean, cold and loud,” he said, grinning.

Chester said the idea to open a bar came after the owner of Gator Shop, a Gators-themed retailer that resided in the building for about 30 years, asked Chester if he would buy the struggling business’ space.

Because it’s right under Munchies 420 Cafe, Chester said it seemed like the perfect place to open a bar.

“It’ll be a little more upscale but for a college-kid price,” he said.

However, opening the bar took longer than expected.

Fat Daddy’s, located at 1702 W. University Ave., was supposed to open this summer, but Chester said getting the necessary permits and construction set the grand opening back by a few months.

The lengthy construction helped to completely transform the retail space, he said.

The windows that once surrounded the store are now metallic swirls that change colors with alternating lighting.

Thirteen flat-screen TVs line the all-black walls, except for the beer coolers behind the main bar, which are lit in orange.

A staircase leads from the back of the bar up to Munchies 420 Cafe, which can serve food to inebriated customers until 4:20 a.m.

But Chester said the most noteworthy feature is a daiquiri bar near the staircase.

It features frozen drink flavors like peach, blue razz and the hurricane.

Compared to other Midtown drink prices, Chester said Fat Daddy’s will try to keep prices low.

“It will be more expensive than some, but cheaper than others,” he said.

This Friday will be the grand opening and will include free tastings of 1,800 Coconut tequila and Jose Cuervo drink promotions.

Patrick Hacker, a 21-year-old UF mechanical engineering junior, said he is glad to see a new bar on the block.

Though he is not a frequent Midtown visitor, he said he loves running into all of his friends, but not the crowds.

“I’d like to see more open spaces instead of just sweating all the time,” he said.

But he thinks the daiquiris may be just the thing to cool him down.

“It’s a fresh new thing that no one really makes,” Hacker said, “so it should be pretty good.”

Contact Shelby Webb at swebb@alligator.org.