<p>Dante Fowler Jr. (6) pursues Kentucky’s Morgan Newton (12) in UF’s 38-0 win on Sept. 22 in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Fowler followed up a strong Thursday practice with another impressive performance Saturday during UF's open practice at The Swamp.&nbsp;</p>

Dante Fowler Jr. (6) pursues Kentucky’s Morgan Newton (12) in UF’s 38-0 win on Sept. 22 in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Fowler followed up a strong Thursday practice with another impressive performance Saturday during UF's open practice at The Swamp. 

The Florida defensive linemen are getting their rest. That wasn’t always the case in 2011.

Last season, UF coaches did not feel they had enough linemen on the roster that they could trust to perform in games, so the starters were on the field for a high percentage of snaps.

The backups have made strides this season, and it has allowed coach Will Muschamp and defensive coordinator Dan Quinn to rotate fresh players into the game while giving the starters added rest.

“They are taking less snaps,” Muschamp said. “As a result, I think we’ve played better as the game has worn on.”

Buck linebacker Dante Fowler Jr. and defensive end Jonathan Bullard headline the Gators’ improved depth. Both true freshmen earned playing time in each of Florida’s four games and have combined for 15 tackles, including two for a loss. Bullard made his first career start last Saturday against Kentucky.

Other players have stepped up and made an impact after not doing so for multiple years. Redshirt senior Earl Okine made two tackles against the Wildcats while sophomore Leon Orr tallied a career-high four tackles in the game. Orr has nine tackles on the season after recording only 10 all of last year.

Junior college transfer Damien Jacobs also earned the trust of the coaches early on. Quinn likes his ability to play both three-technique defensive tackle and nose tackle.

“He’s got good quickness,” Quinn said of Jacobs. “He can push the pocket.”

Every snap Bullard, Fowler, Jacobs, Okine and Orr take is one less play starters Sharrif Floyd, Dominique Easley, Lerentee McCray and Omar Hunter are on the field. Quinn said he and Muschamp have specific times they like to rest their starters.

“Usually it’s at maybe the start of a series,” Quinn said. “It might be when their team is backed up. That’s usually how you end up starting with a rotation. And then as you get into third downs or some critical downs, you try to get a guy like that back in the game.”

With well-rested linemen, the Gators can consistently generate pressure without blitzing. Coaches have rushed just four linemen regularly this season, which allows the linebackers to drop into coverage

“Are we getting as many sacks as we’d like?” Quinn said. “No. Are we getting to affect the quarterback some? Yes. So, in that way, I’m pleased with the four-man rushes. We are able to affect the quarterback where we feel a little bit more with four maybe than we had in the past.”

Muschamp said the coaches have tried to decrease the number of snaps the starters play by 12 to 20 per game. He specifically mentioned that Floyd’s snaps have decreased from roughly 65 per game last season to 50 in 2012.

“When you talk about another 15-18 snaps to a 300-plus pounder, it takes its wear and tear,” Muschamp said. “You’re also taking on a double team with their guard and tackle, and the combination of over 700 pounds for another two or three power plays, it makes a huge difference.”

Contact Josh Jurnovoy at jjurnovoy@alligator.org.