Fair encourages students to bike, bus, carpool to class

UF’s Office of Sustainability will host an Alternative Transportation Fair from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday on the Reitz Union North Lawn.

Students can learn different modes of transportation and the benefits of using them.

The fair will feature both student organizations and local businesses, including Gators for a Sustainable Campus, Mr. Goodbike and the Regional Transit System.

“At the fair, we’ll be doing small seminars on basic repairs, things such as chain maintenance and tire repairs,” said Student Government Bike Repair manager Sergio Gomez, 21.

In addition to cycling, attendees can learn about using buses and carpooling.

Office of Sustainability staff member Michael Amish said there will also be a limited amount of free T-shirts given to people who pledge to not use a single-occupancy vehicle on One Less Car Day, Oct. 31.

UF has an overall goal of being carbon neutral by 2025, and transportation-related carbon emissions account for about 10 percent of UF’s carbon footprint, according to a press release.

The fair aims to encourage students to help the community in cutting back.

“The key thing is to not just do it one day, but every day,” Amish said.