Gainesville Police arrested a man for violating his restraining order and running away from officers.

Police charged John Fitzgerald Miles, 39, of 1307 NW 6th St., on Wednesday with unarmed burglary, possession of cocaine and resisting arrest with violence, among other charges, according to a GPD arrest report.

Police gave the following account:

At about 9:30 p.m. Wednesday, police responded to a call from Granada Apartments at 1800 NW Fourth St. about a man that was in an apartment and in violation of a restraining order.

When police arrived at the apartment, officers heard a man yelling from behind the door.

Officers knocked on the door, and Miles answered.

Police asked Miles, who was sweating and appeared nervous, if he lived at the apartment. Yes, he said.

The officer said she knew who Miles was and that he was violating a restraining order.

Miles received the restraining order in April regarding a domestic violence case, according to court records from the Alachua County Clerk of the Court.

Miles said he knew about the order and that he wasn’t supposed to be at the apartment, according to the report.

The officer tried to arrest Miles, but he broke free from her grip, saying “I ain’t going to jail for this,” and ran.

Police had to use a Taser several times to subdue him.

A witness told police Miles entered his apartment earlier in the evening and started yelling and broke various items inside the apartment.

The witness left the apartment and called his mother who then called police.

After his arrest, police took Miles to Alachua County Jail where they found a small bag of cocaine inside his pocket.

Police booked Miles at 10:14 p.m. Wednesday where he remained Thursday night with a bond set at $127,000.

Contact Chris Alcantara at clacantara@alligator.org.