Gov. Jeb Bush’s son discusses current economy with students

The Gators baseball cap fit snugly around his salted black hair.

George P. Bush sat in the cool air of a tour bus, chatting with reporters in a slight southern accent. Born into politics as a Bush, he has mastered the political appearance.

“I’m just pandering,” he joked, touching the rim of his hat.

About 100 people came to The Swamp Restaurant’s patio to see Bush, the son of former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush. During his 15-minute appearance, Bush asked attendees if they were registered to vote and spoke about concerns facing young voters.

Bush is the founder of Maverick PAC, the political action committee that is funding his bus trip through Florida. The PAC typically caters to professionals between ages 25 and 45, but it is making a new push to reach more college students.

“President Obama did a great job among younger voters,” Bush said, “so what we at MavPAC are doing is trying to coordinate with entities like the College Republicans and going to hit college campuses in key battleground states.”

The bus tour started Monday at Florida State University and will visit the University of Tampa, Valencia Community College, Palm Beach Atlantic University and Miami Dade College during the next few days.

“For the first time in our country’s history, one in four young americans are living at home,” Bush said.

Some people in the crowd said they were glad someone spoke to their concerns.

Brandon Barger, a 21-year-old business senior, said he’s worried about the next four years if President Barack Obama is re-elected.

“It’s good to hear someone who is concerned with young conservative voters,” Barger said.

Contact Shelby Webb at swebb@alligator.org.