Notebook: McCray shining in pass rush; Injury report

<p>Defensive lineman Dominique Easley (2) gets tended to by his teammates after a play&nbsp;at Neyland Stadium on Saturday. Easley walked off the field in his own power after a few minutes.</p>

Defensive lineman Dominique Easley (2) gets tended to by his teammates after a play at Neyland Stadium on Saturday. Easley walked off the field in his own power after a few minutes.

Lerentee McCray’s hard work is finally paying off.

In the second half of Saturday’s 37-20 win against Tennessee, Florida was dominant on both sides of the ball, outgaining UT 389 to 134 during the game’s final 30 minutes. McCray, a redshirt senior Buck linebacker, was a big part of the defense’s success as he consistently pressured Volunteers’ quarterback Tyler Bray and intercepted him on the third drive of the game.

McCray played sparingly his first three years for Florida, accumulating just 16 tackles. He suffered a shoulder injury after starting the first five games of the 2011 season and saw limited action the rest of the year.

“Just been a lot of hard work,” McCray said of earning an increased role. “A lot of dedication, just trying to get better and better every day.”

Coach Will Muschamp praised McCray’s work ethic and said his pass-rushing skills have helped the team immensely.

“He’s a threat off the edge, but he’s also a heavy-handed guy,” Muschamp said. “He can really get his hands on people and get them off of him. He’s a guy that can convert speed to power in the rush, which is critical for a speed rusher, which is what he is.”

Special Teams: The Gators’ punt team effectively limited the Volunteers on Saturday, allowing just one punt return on five opportunities. Sophomore punter Kyle Christy punted from Florida’s 7-yard line after UF’s first drive and pinned the Volunteers on their own 38-yard line with a 55-yard kick.

“Kyle Christy flipped the field twice,” Muschamp said after the game. “Normally you get to the 50. One first down, they’re in field goal range.”

Muschamp said on Monday that Christy’s punts gave the Gators momentum. Christy was named one of the special teams players of the week.

Through its first three games, Florida has punted 15 times and has allowed just four returns for three yards.

Injuries: Right tackle Chaz Green is probable for Saturday’s game against Kentucky, Muschamp said on Monday. Green left UF’s game against Texas A&M with cramps and also suffered an ankle injury, which forced him to miss Saturday’s game against Tennessee.

“Probably was a game-time decision in an emergency situation,” Muschamp said of Green sitting against the Volunteers. “If we had had some injuries, probably could have played, but we held him.”

Defensive end Dominique Easley left Florida's game against Tennessee with a knee injury. Easley suffered an ACL tear in his left knee during UF’s game against FSU on Nov. 26, 2011. Muschamp said it was simply inflammation and that Easley is day-to-day. His status for Kentucky will be determined based on how he progresses throughout the week.

Muschamp also said that cornerback Cody Riggs is still out due to a broken bone in his right foot suffered against Texas A&M, while linebacker Jelani Jenkins remains out due to the broken right thumb he injured in the same game.

Muschamp said he will update the status of both Riggs and Jenkins on Wednesday.

Contact Josh Jurnovoy at jjurnovoy@alligator.org.