Occupy protests one year old

In the early weeks of Occupy Wall Street, movements popped up across the nation and the world. Occupy Gainesville soon followed suit.

Occupy Gainesville observed the one-year anniversary of its parent movement Monday. However, the organization decided not to host an event. Instead it opted to celebrate Occupy Gainesville’s one-year anniversary later this month, said Tommy Baker, a UF alumnus.

During the past year, Occupy Gainesville has been in the local spotlight for a series of arrests and protests.

Baker said the Gainesville movement has been successful overall.

“Compared to where we were a year ago, I feel a lot better about my community and that my community can come together,” he said.

Here’s a look at Occupy Gainesville’s year:

- Oct. 5: Occupy Gainesville hosted an informational meeting on the Bo Diddley Community Plaza to start the city movement.

- Oct. 13: Occupy UF hosted a meeting to form the university movement

- Oct. 14: Several protesters, including Bo Diddley’s son, were arrested for trespassing on Bo Diddley Community Plaza.

- Nov. 13: Police arrested about 20 Occupy Gainesville protesters for trespassing on Bo Diddley Community Plaza.

- Jan. 22: Best-selling author Cornel West led an Occupy Gainesville protest to the front of the Alachua County Courthouse.

Contact Shelby Webb at swebb@alligator.org.