Organizers seek more students for Alzheimer’s research walk

Students interested in walking to raise money for Alzheimer’s research can still sign up.

Several UF-affiliated organizations will participate in the annual Walk to End Alzheimer’s event Saturday at 10 a.m. on Bo Diddley Community Plaza. Students can sign up on the Alzheimer’s Association website, act.alz.org/site/TR?pg=entry&fr_id=1309.

Proceeds from the event will be split between research and nearby support programs. The association aims to raise about $80,000 from donations. Volunteers do not have to pay to participate.

The city has hosted the walk for 15 years. Katie Garro, development manager for the Central and North Florida Chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association, said the event has taken place at Haile Plantation and Westside Park in the past.

“Now that the walk is closer to campus, we’re hoping more students get involved,” she said.

Although there are clubs and organizations already participating, students can walk individually as well.

Lindsay Avila, a 20-year-old anthropology junior, said she encourages students to get involved with the walk.

“The reality is that many people, students included, will one day either face Alzheimer’s themselves or will know someone with the disease,” she said. “If we do all we can right now, then maybe one day we can help change the future for countless individuals.”

The walk will take place rain or shine, and participants can choose a one-mile route or a three-mile route. Garro said about 600 people are expected to walk.