‘Peanuts’ nature exhibit to open at the UF Florida Museum

Charlie Brown may have once feared the Environmental Protection Agency after he bit a tree, but at UF, he and the “Peanuts” cast have come to teach visitors about caring for the environment.

The “Peanuts … Naturally: Charlie Brown and Friends Explore Nature” exhibit will kick off from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at the Florida Museum of Natural History.

The exhibit focuses on Charles Schulz’s exploration of the natural world through his “Peanuts” comic strips, said Tamara Herchel, the museum’s marketing and public relations coordinator.

It includes samplings from his comic strips and videos that touch on topics like the universe, elements and gardening.

On Saturday, the George A. Smathers Libraries’ collection of vintage “Peanut” memorabilia will be on display, Herchel said.

The Sequential Artists Workshop will give demonstrations on drawing and inking comic strips, and representatives from UF’s School of Ants project will explain to attendees how to participate in ant research in their own backyards.

“I like to call it ‘edu-tainment,’” Herchel said.

The exhibit will run from Saturday to Jan. 2. Admission is free this weekend for UF students.

Paige Pitisci, 19-year-old telecommunication sophomore, grew up listening to her dad read “Peanuts” to her, so she’s excited for the exhibit.

“Using the comic strip will be an enjoyable way for people to learn about science and the environment and bring back childhood memories,” Pitisci said.