<p>Defensive coordinator Dan Quinn yells to the defense during UF's 37-20 victory against Tennessee on Sept. 15.&nbsp;at Neyland Stadium. Florida faces Vanderbilt and versatile quarterback Jordan Rodgers this Saturday.</p>

Defensive coordinator Dan Quinn yells to the defense during UF's 37-20 victory against Tennessee on Sept. 15. at Neyland Stadium. Florida faces Vanderbilt and versatile quarterback Jordan Rodgers this Saturday.

Coach Will Muschamp has led the Gators to a 3-0 start for a second consecutive year.

Following Florida’s 37-20 win against Tennessee last Saturday, he said the undefeated start was “different” than last season’s effort.

A significant change for the Gators has been their success in the fourth quarter. Last season, Florida was outscored 72-22 during the final 15 minutes of Southeastern Conference games.

In 2012, the Gators have outscored opponents 27-0 during the fourth quarter, including a 17-0 advantage in two SEC games. Defensive coordinator Dan Quinn chalks up the late-game improvement to a wealth of talent on defense.

“One of the things with our club this year compared to last year is more depth across the ball where we play more players,” Quinn said. “That gives you the feeling that you can play longer into a game, and have a pass rush available for you at the end of the game.”

Even though Buck linebacker Ronald Powell is sidelined with an ACL tear, Florida has taken advantage of its numbers on the defensive line and at linebacker. The Gators have implemented a rotation in the front seven that has proved effective so far this season.

“For us, it’s been kind of part of the plan to build some depth and be able to have more of a rotation where we could go longer into the games and feel like at the end of the games, we could still have a chance to affect the quarterback,” Quinn said.

The rotation has worked due to an influx of talent. Powell may be out, but Quinn said linebacker Neiron Ball’s return to the field has helped.

Also, significant contributions from freshmen Dante Fowler Jr. and Antonio Morrison have been key.

“Guys have been fresh going to the fourth quarter,” nose tackle Omar Hunter said.

“A lot of that has to do with our rotation, we’ve got a lot of guys that can play a lot of different positions and a lot of young guys that stepped up this year, and that’s really helped.”

The Gators’ rotation on defense worked wonders in Knoxville, Tenn.

Ten different players recorded a tackle while playing in the front seven.

UF also recorded a season-best seven quarterback hurries against UT and held the Volunteers to just 13 carries for 16 rushing yards in the second half.

“It helped out a lot,” Hunter said of the rotation. “We’re fresh going into the second half, and I think I played like 30-something snaps, and that’s pretty low. I thought I actually played more, but it was only like 30 snaps. I was fresh after the game and fresh now.”

With linebacker Jelani Jenkins recovering from surgery on his right thumb and Dominique Easley questionable for Florida’s game against Kentucky because of a left knee injury, the strength of Florida’s depth on defense will continue to be tested.

Until the Gators return to full health in the front seven, they will have to live under Muschamp’s injury mantra: “Man down, man up.”

Contact Joe Morgan at joemorgan@alligator.org.