UF first lady, residents raise money for St. Francis House Pet Care clinic

Chris Machen sported her Gators gear as she held Satellite, an all-white cat, while other pets lined up to get their picture taken.

Earth Pets of Gainesville hosted a pet photography event Sunday to raise money for the St. Francis House Pet Care Clinic.

About 20 pet owners gathered at the pet store for professional photos by Glamour Pets, a photography group based out of Cape Canaveral. The event raised about $200 by donating part of the photography fee to the clinic.

Karma Paws Couture featured its “Gameday Edition” canine attire for pups to wear for their photo shoot and for the owners to buy.

Lara Shepard, a 22-year-old equine science and agribusiness at the College of Central Florida in Ocala, and her dog Roxy came to Earth Pets wearing a Karma Paws Couture doggy outfit, ready for her close-up.

Machen, first lady of UF and a co-founder of the St. Francis House Pet Care Clinic, said she and Earth Pets owner Joy Drawdy started talking when the clinic opened five years ago and have been in close contact since.

“Our clinic, as far as we know, is the only one of its kind,” Machen said.

The clinic offers free care to animals owned by homeless, unemployed and low-income residents of Alachua County.

“Not only are we taking care of the animals of these really wonderful people — who are some of the best pet owners we’ve ever met,” she said, “but we also want to build a relationship with the person.”

The clinic was based out of the St. Francis House for four years, then it temporarily moved to the Civic Media Center for four months. It has been at their current location on 501 SE Second St. for about six months.

Machen, who owns a Jack Russell terrier and a Labrador retriever, said she appreciates the community coming together to help pets.

“There’s a lot of crazy cat people,” Machen said. “I happen to be a crazy dog person.”