Workshop teaches residents alternative energy options

<p>Kevin Veach, owner of Green Energy Options, chooses a member of the audience to answer on the sexiness of energy efficiency at a solar energy and efficiency workshop at the Alachua County Administration building Saturday morning.</p>

Kevin Veach, owner of Green Energy Options, chooses a member of the audience to answer on the sexiness of energy efficiency at a solar energy and efficiency workshop at the Alachua County Administration building Saturday morning.

Gainesville’s green scene got some attention Saturday when various energy executives taught residents about energy conservation.

Alachua County’s sustainability department, alongside energy conservation companies, held an energy workshop that covered topics such as solar energy and home energy efficiency.

Several initiatives across the city have added solar panels to Gainesville buildings such as the Beta Theta Pi fraternity house.

Stuart Block, a 22-year-old sustainability studies senior, spoke at the seminar about how he and others got the $44,000 solar system on the roof of the fraternity house.

He discussed how the systems work and described, step-by-step, some of the best ways for people to go solar such as installing smaller solar panels on hot water heaters.

Another speaker, Kevin Veach, of Green Energy Options, spoke about how to find and insulate air seepage that drive up energy bills. His company specializes in the diagnostic tests that discover and fix the leaks.

Sean McLendon, the sustainability program manager for Alachua County, said he’s excited for the way the green movement is going in the area.

“The most exciting thing is we’ve reached a point with solar energy where more than ever before it’s becoming a better long-term investment for a greater number of people,” he said. “Even if solar power isn’t affordable, conservation and efficiency is well within everyone’s reach.”

Contact Alex Catalano at acatalano@alligator.org.