Country-rapper Colt Ford deals advice, anecdotes to aspiring telecommunication Gators

<p>Telecommunication students and faculty pose with country-rapper Colt Ford after a question and answer session at Weimer Hall Thursday.</p>

Telecommunication students and faculty pose with country-rapper Colt Ford after a question and answer session at Weimer Hall Thursday.

Country-rap entrepreneur Colt Ford visited Weimer Hall Thursday for a question and answer session with students interested in the telecommunications industry.

A group of about 15 gathered to hear Ford speak about the music industry, how to get involved and even indulge in the occasional on-the-road anecdote.

Ford’s latest album “Declaration of Independence” recently became the first independent album to debut at no. 1 on the country charts. After his UF appearance, Colt played a show at the Florida Theater Thursday night.

Before Ford arrived, students were eager to hear an artist weigh in on music management.

Danielle Dragna, a senior telecommunications management major, said she was interested in hearing “how the artist’s side interacts with the radio side and how they work together to put things on the air.” Fellow senior telecommunication management major Devon Smith was more focused on learning “how to acquire licensing fees for TV and film studio use.”

All of the students in attendance got their chance to ask Ford, a former professional golfer who admitted he almost came to Florida on a golf scholarship, about the business.

Speaking for almost an hour, Ford shared many stories from his opinion on the Nashville music scene being “behind” to his nicknames for fellow country singer and friend Luke Bryan while on tour.

Ford emphasized the musicality over the corporate side saying, “the song should win.”

And not just any song, but every song. Being a “country rapper” may be an outlier, but he said keeping his ears open to a variety of genres gives way to more understanding of what’s going on in the industry. He jokingly added, “Anybody who has one genre of music on their iPod, I don’t even want to be friends with them.”

Ford also talked about playing for the fans and letting creativity and ideas reign in the future.

Ford encouraged students aiming to get involved in the music business to “find something different” rather than fitting the mold.

He said the digital age of downloads only helps, as finding artists on YouTube and other online outlets will let “music continue to win.”