Dealing with various disabilities hasn’t made Tony's life easy, but riding horses makes the 27-year-old smile.

“The riding helps him physically, mentally and socially,” Tony’s mother Rosanne Conliffe said. “The animal connection is so strong.”

About 100 people attended a fundraiser for HOPE — HOrses Helping PEople — Sunday afternoon at the organization’s farm in Archer. The organization provides therapy for people with special needs through interaction with horses.

Guests played carnival-style games and activities such as Pin the Tail on the Donkey and sack races. A petting zoo, bounce house and horse decorated in glitter were among the most popular attractions.

HOPE Executive Director Kristen Cooper, 31, said the organization operates on donations, and events like the festival help keep the facilities operating.

“We like being able to offer something for kids to come out to the farm and enjoy,” she said.

Cooper said patients often don’t realize they’re getting therapy; they’re just having fun.

“Equine therapy has become very popular, especially with autistic children,” she said.

Disabilities range from ADHD and autism to being wheelchair-bound.

“The only way they can get out of a wheelchair is getting on a horse,” Cooper said.

Laura Glicksman, a 20-year-old UF biology junior, organized a group of about 20 student volunteers from UF’s Phi Sigma Pi coed honorary fraternity to help at the event.

“This enables them to broaden their horizons,” she said.

Conliffe, a volunteer for HOPE, said her son has been receiving therapy from the organization for the past three years.

“When he first came, he didn’t talk much,” she said. “Now he’s doing great … This is a phenomenal program.”