Gators March for Babies holds kickoff to draw participants for annual 5K

<p>Pinwheels in the Plaza of the Americas raise awareness for the 9th annual Gators March for babies. The march will take place on Sunday, November 4th.</p>

Pinwheels in the Plaza of the Americas raise awareness for the 9th annual Gators March for babies. The march will take place on Sunday, November 4th.

Hundreds of gold, glittering pinwheels caught the rays of the sun and the attention of passersby on the Plaza of the Americas Wednesday.

The Gators March for Babies organization hosted its annual kick-off event to promote the upcoming March for Babies 5K Walk/Run Nov. 4.

The organization hopes to use the hundreds of pinwheels on display to represent the number of premature babies born in one state.

Overall director of recruitment for the organization, Becca Momberg, 22-year-old elementary education senior, wants students to see the kickoff as a call to action to increase awareness of premature birth. She also wants students to see the steps the organization is taking to support healthy babies.

“Kickoff is the first big event that we do to promote the Gators March for Babies Walk.” Momberg said. “We have sponsors come, we promote the mission and we register walkers.”

With tables full of laptops ready to register walkers, Planet Smoothie samples and festive orange- and-blue cake, the organization hosted the event to emphasize the timeliness of the walk.

With the event fewer than 20 days away, the North Central Florida executive director, Betsy Trent, said she knows how important it is to reach out to students on campus through the kickoff.

“It is not too late to register for March for Babies, to organize a team and get ready to help save babies and have a great time on the University of Florida campus,” Trent said.

Trent said one in every eight babies born each year in the United States is born prematurely.

The group not only talks the talk, but also walks the walk – literally.

Normally, about 1,500 participants register for the walk and – through displays like the pinwheels on campus and through spirit nights that will be held at popular local restaurants – Gators March For Babies expects to see an increase in the number of registered student walkers and student teams.

“Typically, the last few weeks is when our fundraising increases and when we host more spirit night events, so the kickoff is kind of a way to get the ball rolling, to promote our smaller events before the walk,” Momberg said.

Although most college students are focused more on term papers and exams, Trent said she thinks awareness of an issue that impacts millions of people deserves an early thought.

“Yes, you’re walking to save babies nationwide, but you’re also walking to save your babies in the future,” Trent said.

As a branch of the nationally known March of Dimes organization, Gators March For Babies is celebrating the successes of the March of Dimes and the upcoming 75th anniversary of the organization with their birthday-themed events throughout the year leading up to the walk.

“We need the help of college students and everyone else to take us into the future and the next 75 years,” Trent said.

Although the group has the support of its national organization, Gators March for Babies holds the distinction of being one of the largest collegiate walks nationwide.

“When people see purple and the March of Dimes logo, they’ve at least heard of March of Dimes and are more familiar with our cause,” Momberg said.

Collegiate councils across the country have called about ways to improve their individual walks, seeking the advice of the highest fundraising walk in the country. The motivation to stay on top makes the organization strive to register more walkers, raise more awareness and raise more money every year, Momberg said.

“The goal is clear: Every year at kick-off we will have less and less pinwheels on the lawn,” Momberg said.