<p>Tj Villamil speaks to student senators Wednesday at the Reitz Union about taking back the Okefenokee Oar by winning the Florida-Georgia game Saturday in Jacksonville.</p>

Tj Villamil speaks to student senators Wednesday at the Reitz Union about taking back the Okefenokee Oar by winning the Florida-Georgia game Saturday in Jacksonville.

Student Body President Tj Villamil encouraged student senators Tuesday to blow up social media platforms with information about the Okefenokee Oar.

The University of Georgia’s Student Government and UF’s Student Government created the trophy in 2009, Villamil said. The Okefenokee Oar is a 10-foot paddle that goes to the winner of the Florida-Georgia game each year.

He said the oar is made from a 1,000-year-old cypress tree from the Okefenokee Swamp, which sits on the border of Florida and Georgia.

The Florida-Georgia game has a reputation as “the world’s largest outdoor cocktail party,” but both schools’ Student Government organizations are trying to take the focus off that title, Villamil said. Instead, they want to raise awareness about the “Battle for the Paddle” and the “War for the Oar.”

Villamil said UGA took the oar last year after winning the game and built a case in its Tate Student Center.

“I get reminded every single day that it sits in their union,” he said.

About two weeks ago, SG bought a case that sits on the first floor of the Reitz Union, Villamil said after the meeting.

Information and Communication Committee Chairwoman Jamie Lowsetter also encouraged senators to spread awareness of the oar.

“We are the best school,” she said. “Why should we not have it?”

Contact Samantha Shavell at sshavell@alligator.org.