Tracy Lu spent her summer vacation studying abroad in China. While perfecting her Chinese language skills in Chengdu, Lu explored the mysterious and fascinating country she was living in.

One warm weekend Lu and her class went on a planned excursion to Mt. Emei, one of the four sacred Buddhist mountains of China.

“It was a long bus ride to get there, but the beauty was worth it,” Lu said.

As Lu hiked up the mountain, monkeys called out to the group, swinging effortlessly through the trees. Some even tried to steal food.

A daring classmate allowed a monkey to climb on his shoulders, she said.

Halfway up the mountain, the group took a cable car to the top. The view was ethereal.

“When we got up there I swore we were one with the clouds,” Lu said.

Temples dotted the top of Emei and a golden statue was displayed.

On the way down, the group took a new path and was pleasantly surprised when they came across a waterfall. It was the clearest and most beautiful waterfall she could have imagined. It stood in contrast to other Chinese bodies of water, which are usually polluted, Lu said.

Some students admired the water too closely and fell in the water.

The group sipped fresh tea and spent the night in a traditional Chinese hotel.

Lu’s adventure made her treasure the unique Chengdu area even more.

“You can go to places like Beijing or Shanghai, but no place is like Chengdu,” Lu said. “Their culture and people are so different from most places in China, and they are known for having the best cuisines.”

Lu plans to return to China after she graduates to teach English as a second language.