<p>The Wine Attic takes takes up the top floor of The Library, a new bar that opened three weeks ago at 120 SW First Ave. The Wine Attic serves wine by the glass, while the Wine Cellar, not pictured, serves wine, beer and sangria. The bar expects to have a grand opening within three weeks.</p>

The Wine Attic takes takes up the top floor of The Library, a new bar that opened three weeks ago at 120 SW First Ave. The Wine Attic serves wine by the glass, while the Wine Cellar, not pictured, serves wine, beer and sangria. The bar expects to have a grand opening within three weeks.

If you bring in three books, you get half off your bar tab. Sold.

The Library, a bar and lounge located in the space previously occupied by Market Street Pub, 120 SW First Ave., opened about a month ago in downtown Gainesville.

Right now, they serve only beer and wine, but a food license is in the works, and a menu is being created, said Karry Kreiger, manager.

The bar is spacious and waiting for books to fill in the empty spaces to serve as decor and reading material for its patrons.

Kreiger greeted many of his customers by first name and was introduced to a girl’s parents who were visiting from out of town.

Though quiet for a Saturday night, the chatter from the bar was lively and welcoming.

The Library hasn’t advertised yet and consider the past month a soft opening, with plans for a grand opening in the near future.

The bar is two stories. The Wine Cellar is located on the first floor where they offer beer, wine and sangria.

The top floor is home to the Wine Attic where they serve bottled wine by the glass.

Kreiger said they really enjoy talking about the wine and beer with the customers, educating them and helping them find what they like.

Right now, they have 225 types of beer and 45 wines, but the goal is to have more than 500 beers and 100 wines to choose from. It costs $8 to taste six wines.

“If they’re into it, I keep pouring,” Kreiger said of the tasting.

The Library is owned by Kreiger’s family, who have been in the food and beverage industry for three generations.

The family owns two other bars, one in St. Augustine and one in Pittsburgh.

He said they chose downtown Gainesville because of the many improvements they see happening in the area and the customer base consisting of students, professionals and locals.

Kreiger said one of their goals is to connect customers with what they enjoy by also offering whole bottles or even cases of the wine they serve.

All craft beers are $4, and wines vary in price but are generally $7 to $8 a glass.

The Library is open Wednesday through Sunday from 5 p.m. to 2 a.m.