<p>Chantelle Melendez, a 20-year-old psychology junior, pumps gas Tuesday at the Shell station at 3330 SW Archer Road. The average gas price in Florida is $3.43, said Gregg Laskoski, senior petroleum analyst for GasBuddy.com.</p>

Chantelle Melendez, a 20-year-old psychology junior, pumps gas Tuesday at the Shell station at 3330 SW Archer Road. The average gas price in Florida is $3.43, said Gregg Laskoski, senior petroleum analyst for GasBuddy.com.

Students who plan to drive home for Thanksgiving may see a pleasant surprise when they pull up to the pump.

Gainesville’s gas prices deceased this month and are expected to continue to fall through the Christmas season.

Gas prices in Florida fell from a $3.70 average last month to $3.43, said Gregg Laskoski, senior petroleum analyst for GasBuddy.com.

At this time last year, the average was $3.40.

Florida AAA spokeswoman Jessica Brady said prices are expected to continue to fall through Thanksgiving and possibly through the end of the year.

“There is a rally in the market centered around optimism,” Brady said.

Gas prices follow the oil fluctuation. According to Brady, there was a recent national decrease in the demand for both.

The most expensive regular-grade gas in Gainesville is $3.69 at the Chevron at 3328 W. University Ave., Laskoski said.

The cheapest regular-grade gas in the city is $3.29 at the BP near the intersection of Southwest Williston Road and Interstate 75, according to the gas prices website.

Christine Hoffman, a 20-year-old UF economics junior, said driving home from Gainesville can get expensive if gas prices are high.

“Driving back home is horrible,” she said. “You have to force your friends to ride with you to split the cost of gas.”