Home Bar Essentials: Prepping for Holiday Parties

Booze
Booze

Interested in throwing a get-together that channels the glamour of the 1960s? Bring back the classic, at-home happy hour just in time for the holidays. Creating a respectable home bar for a party is as simple as gathering friends and a few essentials that meet even the pickiest of guest’s expectations.

Liquor

First, gather up the basic liquors: vodka, bourbon, rum, tequila and gin. Don’t even think about dropping more than $30 on a bottle, instead invest in tried-and-true staples like:

Vodka: Sobieski or Burnett’s

Bourbon: Bulleit or Old Crow Reserve

Rum: Sailor Jerry or Kraken

Tequila: Jose Cuervo or Milagro Silver

Gin: Tanqueray or Seagram’s

It also wouldn’t hurt to grab a bottle of Angostura bitters, triple sec and dry Vermouth.

Mixers

Set up standard mixers like club soda, juices, ginger ale and a variety of sodas alongside muddling ingredients like sugar cubes and basil leaves. Also include some seasonal craft beer to provide an alternative for guests who may not want to drink liquor.

Barware

As far as barware goes, don’t waste your money on accessories you can substitute for with things already laying around your kitchen. Some simple substitutions include:

Instead of a muddler, use the handle end of a wooden spoon to break up the product.

Instead of a shaker, use two slightly flared cups inverted on each other, or a glass jar with a lid (a customized Mason jar would do the trick)

Instead of jigger, use a regular shot glass or a basic tablespoon to measure liquor.

For a fun conversation piece, pick up a cocktail recipe book and challenge guests to stray from their regular choices in favor of something they’ve never tried before. Don’t forget the ice bucket, highball glasses, stirring spoons and garnishes like lemon and lime slices for guests to add a final touch to their cocktails.

Don’t want to have indecisive guests holding up the bar area? Stick with a party theme and limit the available options to 3 to 5 different cocktails that fit it. Some ideas could include a speakeasy soiree with classic cocktails, a winter wonderland with spiced cocktails or a camping theme with a bonfire and warm cocktails like mulled cider.

What are the must-haves for your home bar? Let us know in the comment section below.