Missouri’s dual-threat quarterback getting healthy, will start vs. Florida

<p>Missouri head coach Gary Pinkel stands on the sidelines during the first half of against Kentucky on Saturday in Columbia, Mo. </p>

Missouri head coach Gary Pinkel stands on the sidelines during the first half of against Kentucky on Saturday in Columbia, Mo. 

The Gators have multiple dual-threat quarterbacks on their schedule this season.

Florida has already faced mobile gunslingers Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M and Aaron Murray of Georgia. UF still has a date against Florida State’s EJ Manuel in Tallahassee on Nov. 24.

But none stood taller before the 2012 season began than Missouri signal caller James Franklin — until the injuries piled up.

Franklin suffered injuries to both shoulders — one during spring practice and the other against Georgia on Sept. 8. He also suffered a knee sprain against Vanderbilt on Oct. 6. The junior quarterback missed games against Arizona State on Sept. 15 and Alabama on Oct. 13.

Franklin, who has not attempted more than 10 passes in a game since Sept. 29, will start against the Gators on Saturday, Missouri coach Gary Pinkel said.

“He’s not been healthy all year,” Pinkel said. “Does that affect your team? There’s no question about that. We all know that. Take any starting quarterback out of any program and it’s going to have a huge impact.”

Franklin’s absence has put a damper on the Tigers’ first season in the Southeastern Conference. 

After finishing 8-5 last year, Missouri already has four losses in its first eight games.

The Tigers recorded their first SEC win against Kentucky on Oct. 27 after dropping their first four games against conference foes by an average margin of 19.5 points.

Adjusting to the SEC has been difficult, Pinkel said, especially with Franklin limited.

“The difference between the Big 12 and the SEC is the SEC has a lot more good teams,” Pinkel said. 

“And I think that’s fair to say. I think it’s hard to argue that.”

Last season, Franklin threw for 2,865 yards and ranked second in the Big 12 behind Kansas State’s Collin Klein for rushing yards by a quarterback with 981. Franklin averaged 4.5 yards per rush.

In 2012, Franklin has run for just 75 yards on 51 carries, relying more on his arm in an effort to avoid further injury. Not including sacks, Franklin has just five rushing attempts in his past three games.

Although Pinkel named Franklin the starter for Saturday’s game, Florida has been preparing for both Franklin and Missouri backup quarterback Corbin Berkstresser.

“Their offense doesn’t change a lot from one quarterback to another,” UF defensive coordinator Dan Quinn said.

Contact Joe Morgan at joemorgan@alligator.org.