<p>Safety Josh Evans (9) tackles wideout Dorial Green-Beckham (15) during Florida’s 14-7 win against Missouri on Nov. 3 in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.&nbsp;</p>
<div>&nbsp;</div>

Safety Josh Evans (9) tackles wideout Dorial Green-Beckham (15) during Florida’s 14-7 win against Missouri on Nov. 3 in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. 

Florida offensive coordinator Brent Pease is a candidate to take the head coaching job at Kentucky next season, but don’t hold your breath for a quick decision.

“I’m not going to approach it in-season at all,” Pease said. “If the opportunity comes up afterward, I’d do whatever’s appropriate at that time.”

Pease, a career assistant, said he would listen if any head coaching offers come his way. He has worked as an offensive coordinator at four FBS schools: Kentucky, Baylor, Boise State and Florida.

“You always visit with people,” Pease said. “That’s what we’re in the profession for.”

Should Pease entertain job offers this offseason, he would have the support of Gators coach Will Muschamp, who has already lost one offensive coordinator to a head coaching job during his tenure at Florida. Charlie Weis accepted an offer to take the helm at Kansas after calling plays in Gainesville last season.

“Brent certainly is an outstanding football coach,” Muschamp said. “Any opportunity he has as a head coach, I know that I will fully endorse that.”

The Wildcats announced the firing of coach Joker Phillips on Monday. Phillips is 12-23 with a 4-19 Southeastern Conference clip since taking over in 2010.

Pease’s history in Lexington, Ky., has fueled speculation that he might replace Phillips. Pease served as UK’s offensive coordinator from 2001-02.

“It’s a good program,” Pease said of Kentucky. “They’ve got great people. They’ve got a great program, and the facilities are good. They’re committed to winning, and they have won. They won when we were there, when I was there on staff. They won when Rich Brooks was there. You can get good kids there.”

Sandy’s effect on Gators: The lights will not come on at Josh Evans’ house. More than a week after Hurricane Sandy hit New Jersey, Evans’ family is without power.

“It was very scary,” he said.

Evans had the storm on his mind during Florida’s 14-7 win against Missouri on Saturday at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Evans led the Gators with 12 tackles and grabbed a fourth-quarter interception that ended the Tigers’ last-ditch effort to tie the game.

“I kind of had a chip on my shoulder this weekend … to go out there and play harder for my family and the struggle they’re going through,” Evans said. “The lives we lost back in New Jersey, New York (and) Connecticut had me a little emotional over this weekend to go out there and just play my heart out. It’s been tough.”

Also affected by the storm were the families of Dominique Easley of Staten Island, N.Y., and Jordan Reed of New London, Conn.

Buck linebacker Lerentee McCray said he and Easley talked about the junior defensive end’s family and the condition of Staten Island in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.

“They went a couple days without power,” McCray said. “The city’s flooded, the streets (are) flooded and everything like that. Stuff that we went through a couple years ago when the hurricanes came through.”

Sturgis may be limited: Caleb Sturgis (right ankle) is probable for Saturday’s game against Louisiana, but the extent of his role remains uncertain.

Due to swelling on Sturgis’ kicking ankle that popped up during practice last week, the Gators may reduce the Lou Groza Award semifinalist’s field-goal range against the Ragin’ Cajuns. Usually, Sturgis attempts field goals as long as 52 yards. 

“It’s something that [special teams coordinator D.J. Durkin] always lets us know,” Pease said. “There’s communication on the headphones on where we need to get to. So, it varies. We know what Caleb’s range is consistently, but if there’s wind, there’s wind. If it’s a different kicker, it’s probably not as far as Caleb’s.”

Sturgis attempted just one field goal — a blocked 47-yard attempt — against Missouri. Brad Phillips handled kickoffs and missed a 24-yard field goal attempt in the fourth quarter.

Headset jargon: When asked about his Saturday headset conversations with Muschamp, Pease laughed. Muschamp tones down his sideline demeanor when talking with coaches during games, according to Pease.

“He’s good,” Pease said. “He listens, and he might say things here and there and give us some clues on what we’re seeing. Some coaches chat a lot, but he doesn’t do that. Sometimes I don’t even know he’s there.”

Contact Joe Morgan at joemorgan@alligator.org.