Notebook: UF offensive linemen meet to discuss improvement; Injury update

<p>Guard Jon Halapio blocks Georgia nose tackle Kwame Geathers in Florida’s 17-9 loss on Oct. 27 at EverBank Field in Jacksonville.</p>

Guard Jon Halapio blocks Georgia nose tackle Kwame Geathers in Florida’s 17-9 loss on Oct. 27 at EverBank Field in Jacksonville.

After giving up five sacks in Saturday’s 17-9 loss to Georgia, the Florida offensive line knew it needed a wake-up call. 

Senior tackle Xavier Nixon and junior center Jonotthan Harrison took the initiative, calling a players-only meeting for the unit on Sunday. Junior guard Jon Halapio said the meeting was called to make sure the entire line knew its performance needed to improve. 

“We need to step up,” Halapio said. “We needed to be more consistent and just all around got to get better.”

Harrison said he does not expect the pass protection to be an issue going forward.

“Last game wasn’t our best performance, but we’ve shown what we’re capable of, and it’s well known the potential that our offensive line has,” Harrison said. “I just know we’re going to bounce back this Saturday and make sure everyone is fundamentally sound on the offensive line.”

Screen Game: In each of the past two games, the Gators’ longest play has come on a screen pass. In UF’s win over South Carolina, it was a 39-yard pass to tight end Jordan Reed. Against Georgia, Mike Gillislee made the team’s longest play with a 29-yard catch. 

Offensive coordinator Brent Pease said the screens are effective when used at the right time.

“If you’re going to be good in screens, you have to dedicate some time on it,” Pease said. “Reads and timing with the linemen and setting up with the back.”

Fullback Hunter Joyer said an increase in screens could help neutralize opposing pass rushes.

“It would change up the defense,” Joyer said. “They couldn’t rush as hard anymore. It would get them guessing about other things.”

Injuries: Junior defensive back Cody Riggs, who has not played since he suffered a fractured right foot in the Southeastern Conference opener against Texas A&M on Sept. 8, has no timetable for a return to action, defensive coordinator Dan Quinn said on Wednesday. Quinn did not rule out the possibility of Riggs taking a medical redshirt, although the coaches haven’t discussed it.

Quinn said he was optimistic that defensive tackle Leon Orr would play against Missouri on Saturday. A team spokesperson confirmed that Orr was hospitalized earlier this week with flu-like symptoms.  

Linebacker Jelani Jenkins left Saturday’s game after re-aggravating a hamstring injury that caused him to miss Florida’s game against Vanderbilt on Oct. 13. 

Quinn said that Jenkins has been a full participant in practice this week.

“He had a good week of practice leading up [to the Georgia game], so not sure why some of the recurring things have happened,” Quinn said. “Hopefully all of this is behind him and we can keep moving forward.”

Contact Josh Jurnovoy at jjurnovoy@alligator.org.