UF will host a book discussion about slavery and race relations today.

The discussion, sponsored by UF’s Samuel Proctor Oral History Program, is hosted by Larry Rivers, president of Fort Valley State University. He will discuss his book, “Rebels and Runaways: Slave Resistance in Nineteenth-Century Florida.”

The event will be at 6 p.m. in Pugh Hall and is free.

Tamarra Jenkins, a program assistant for the oral history program, said she thinks students might be interested in the talk due to recent events dealing with race at UF, like when two Beta Theta Pi brothers dressed in blackface at a social Oct. 24.

“We believe it’s really going to be able to resonate pretty soundly and hit close to home for students,” Jenkins said.

She said the event is open to the public, and the center expects about 300 people to attend.

UF history professor Steven Noll is offering extra credit to students who go. He said he thinks it’s important for students to learn more about slavery.

“It’s good for them to get a different perspective on history,” he said.

Noll said he thinks UF students should make an effort to attend intellectual events, which sometimes don’t receive much attention on campus.

“This university isn’t just about going to see Tracy Morgan … and country music,” he said. “It’s about going to see something that may cause you to think differently.”