You may have passed it on your way to another part of Smathers Library. Or you may have seen the sign announcing a bag sale on your way to class (my first reaction: bag sale? Like backpacks? I have one of those already. I am going to continue walking to class). Tucked away on the first floor of Library East is the Smathers Library Bookstore, and if you can catch it when its doors are open you’ll hit a goldmine.

The Bookstore began a book sale that took place once every year in front of Library West. Due to popular demand, the “Acquisitions Department Gifts” program took on the management of an entire store. Now, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. anyone can make purchase from the wide selection of available books, CDs, DVDs, posters, magazines and maps.

When I entered, it was very quiet. I was greeted first by the cashier, and then by a poster on the far wall of the store: a moment of reflection by Jerry Seinfeld: “If a book about failure doesn’t sell, is it a success?” Comic books were strewn across one table; two boxes of records were under that. The Bookstore does not limit itself to one genre — one can find good books in any subject, from crafts to anthropology.

All of the merchandise in the bookstore is cheap and in excellent condition. You don’t have to look very closely to be rewarded. Anything from the store would make a great gift for the holiday season — so go forth, and buy books with wild abandon. They’re only $3.

After assessing their goods, here are some of my favorites. Click through the slideshow to see my picks.