Commuter bus service responsible for fatal Miami crash

A commuter bus service popular among UF students is responsible for a fatal bus crash in Miami that killed two elderly Jehovah’s Witnesses and injured several others.

A Miami Bus Service bus driver took a wrong turn into Miami International Airport while traveling to a religious conference, crashing the bus into a too-low overpass, according to The Miami Herald. The bus driver is thought to have ignored or been unaware of signs that would have warned him the 11-foot-high bus was too tall to go under the 8-foot-6-inch overpass.

Miami Bus Service is among the commuter buses used by UF students to travel on weekends to cities such as Miami, Orlando and West Palm Beach. No UF students were on the bus when it crashed.

Calls to Miami Bus Service were not returned.

Bus service co-owner Mayling Hernandez told The Miami Herald that safety is her company’s primary concern.

“At this time, I’m worried about the driver and the families of the victims. I’m praying for them,” she told The Miami Herald. “My job is to worry about the safety of the passengers who are our clients. What we do requires a lot of responsibility. I didn’t know the passengers, but that doesn’t mean I’m not suffering.”

Contact Meredith Rutland at mrutland@alligator.org.