For those of you who were here during the summer, you’re likely well aware that I’m a movie buff. I bombarded you with references to “John Carter” and “The Dark Knight Rises” like my life depended on it. Fortunately for you, I toned it down during the fall.

And don’t be alarmed when I begin this column with a line from a movie. You shouldn’t expect uncontrolled movie references from us this semester. Really, I promise.

I recently watched Steven Spielberg’s “Lincoln,” and at one point during the film, our 16th president — played by Daniel Day-Lewis — shouted, “Buzzards’ guts, man!”

We all usually look at President Lincoln and see The Great Emancipator. A fearless leader. A stoic, serious man. That dude with the weird beard on the $5 bill.

And then the guy yells, “Buzzards’ guts, man!” I mean, what the hell?

When you really look at a person and listen to him or her talk for a bit, that’s when you really get to know that person. To most of you, those of us here at alligatorSports are nothing more than the names in all caps before each story begins.

Sharing stories is an intimate experience. People used to sit around campfires huddled together when a story was told. I’m not saying a run-of-the-mill midweek baseball story is the stuff of legend like a good ghost story, but there should be a connection between writers and their readers.

That is why I invite you to email us. Tweet us. Approach us on campus.

Attached to this column, you will find a graphic featuring mug shots and Twitter handles for every writer on our staff. All of us.

“Buzzards’ guts, man!” That’s personal.

We strive to be experts on our beats. If you attended the Florida women’s basketball game yesterday, you noticed Jennifer George injured her right arm.

If you want to know more as the week progresses, ask Phillip Heilman. 

Maybe you’re curious how the Gators baseball team will fare after the loss of multiple stars to last year’s MLB draft. Adam Pincus and Josh Jurnovoy will be happy to discuss the prospects of coach Kevin O’Sullivan’s squad with you.

If you’re taking Arabic 2 with Pincus, you’ll need something to kill time.

Think you know how Billy Donovan and Florida will perform once Southeastern Conference play begins this week? Tweet at beat writers Katie Agostin and Landon Watnick or columnist Greg Luca. Engage them with your analysis.

“Buzzards’ guts, man!” That’s awesome.

Even cooler is our plan for the alligatorSports podcast.

In a further effort to familiarize you, the readers, with every writer on our staff, we will feature at least one small sports beat writer on every podcast episode.

In addition to regular coverage of men’s basketball and baseball, we’ll discuss women’s basketball, lacrosse, softball, tennis, track and field, gymnastics, swimming and diving and golf with each sport’s respective beat writer.

“Buzzards’ guts, man!” That’s sweet.

We want to reach out to you. We do what we do for you, the readers. Without your input and feedback, what’s the point?

So communicate with us. Reach out. Let your voice be heard.

“Buzzards’ guts, man!” That’s the way it should be.

Contact Joe Morgan at joemorgan@alligator.org.