If working on your physique found its way to the top of your resolution list, trade crowded campus gyms for adventure by considering local alternatives.

From rock climbing to running for beer, beginners and gym junkies alike can ditch boring, solo workouts for good by taking advantage of social fitness programs.

CrossFit: A rigorous training program that pushes participants to complete rounds of activities ranging from flipping tires to Olympic lifting, CrossFit has developed a loyal following of people looking for a challenge.

Classes follow a national Workout of the Day schedule and are taught in a group setting, in which each member tries to beat their personal record.

For those who want a test run, both CrossFit Gainesville and Gator CrossFit offer free introductory courses.

Mixed Martial Arts: Cages and graphic T-shirts aside, MMA and jiu-jitsu training offer cardio conditioning and can come in handy if you ever get in a tough situation. Capoeira, a Brazilian dance-style martial art, is also an alternative for gaining strength and flexibility.

F2 Arena and Global Mixed Martial Arts Academy both offer classes ranging from introductory to competition fighter training.

Rock Climbing: Boulder climb to a more sculpted upper body at Gainesville Rock Gym. With 8,500 square feet of vertical climbing space and a separate cave and tunnel system, there’s plenty of room to spread out and meet other climbers.

Never tried scaling a 36-foot cliff before? Classes are available to teach climbing basics like belaying and lead climbing.

Beer Run Club: A self-proclaimed drinking club with a running problem, the Gainesville Area Thirsty Runners practice the tradition of “hashing,” a hare-and-hound-style run that ends with a celebratory beer social at a local bar.

Before each run, a preselected “hare” lays a 2- to 5-mile trail for the rest of the group to follow as “hounds,” with signals and dead ends along the way.

To track down when and where the group is meeting next, or to learn more and start a hash group of your own, visit gatrh3.wordpress.com.