The Harn and The Hipp team up to show “Gregory Crewdson: Brief Encounters”

The Harn Museum of Art is co-sponsoring a one-night-only screening of director Ben Shapiro’s documentary, "Gregory Crewdson: Brief Encounters" Tuesday at the Hippodrome Theatre. Carol McCusker, Curator of Photography at the Harn, will lead a talkback with the audience following the film.

“Gregory Crewdson: Brief Encounters” is not a comprehensive biography of the artist, but instead it ventures deep into his creation methods. Crewdson speaks about his background including Diane Arbus’ influence during his childhood.

The main focus of the film is on the work’s production. The documentary provides the audience with a detailed look at Crewdson’s artistic process as he uses a large crew and elaborate set to produce a single haunting, emotional image. Crewdson is meticulous as he carves out every feature of the photos he stages against the backdrop of small, almost deserted towns.

At 77 minutes long, this documentary highlights Crewdson’s artistic genius. It is perfect for people with a special interest in artistic photography or who are fans of Gregory Crewdson’s work.