<p>Guitars hang on the wall of The JAM, 817 W. University Ave., waiting to be played by patrons. Anyone can use the bar’s instruments, which include guitars, drums and a piano, to rock on the stage.</p>

Guitars hang on the wall of The JAM, 817 W. University Ave., waiting to be played by patrons. Anyone can use the bar’s instruments, which include guitars, drums and a piano, to rock on the stage.

Most businesses prefer the instruments on display remain untouched, but at The JAM it is a must for musicians to pick up an instrument and show off their talents.

The JAM, a music bar at 817 W. University Ave., provides live music and welcomes anyone to play music on its stage.

“We want to foster the musicians and the artists around town,” said Blake Briand, 34-year-old co-owner of The JAM. “We want everyone to find that this is a place they can come and show their stuff.”

Briand operates The JAM with co-owners Eddy Arenas, 34, and Veronica Arenas, 31, siblings and UF alumni.

The JAM is open from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. Monday through Saturday. It hosts different theme nights such as jazz nights Monday, reggae Tuesday, world Wednesday and open jam night Thursday. Different local bands play Friday and Saturday. If no bands are booked, the venue hosts a drum circle in its spacious backyard.

“It’s a comfortable environment that opens my mind to music I’ve never listened to before,” said Margarita Khariton, a 20-year-old chemical engineering junior.

The JAM provides a full range of instruments and equipment on the inside stage. There are guitars hanging from the walls, a piano and various types of drums are around the bar.

“There is a serious lack of good music venues in Gainesville that keep the musician in mind and not just whatever they can make moneywise,” Eddy Arenas said.

The JAM’s philosophy is to create a venue where musicians come back because they have a good time and are treated well.

“That is important to us,” Briand said. “We apply that same thing to the audience. We want them to have a good time and leave thinking that it was a good experience.”

Beer, wine, tea and other hot beverages are featured on the drink menu, including beverages from local brewing companies like Otter & Trout Trading Co Inc., Cigar City Brewing and Farm Boy Produce.

Kombucha, a nonalcoholic, fermented tea that is good for health and digestion, combined with sake compose the signature drink playfully named kombusake, Eddy Arenas said.

The JAM is a place for people of all ages, said Kristin Rusoff, a 21-year-old microbiology and cell science senior.

“It is a fun place to hang out when you get done with downtown,” she said.

Although there is support from the community, the future of The JAM is uncertain.

“Unfortunately, there is a looming threat that this is all going to get torn down. It’s up in the air right now,” Eddy Arenas said. “This whole property now belongs to the Innovation Square.”

The co-owners hope to build a name for themselves, so that, if necessary, they will survive a location change.

“Until then, we’re going to ride this place until the wheels fall off,” Eddy Arenas said.